AUSTRALIAN ALPACA WOOL DRYER BALLS
We all know using a clothes dryer is not the most energy or cost-efficient way to dry your laundry, but when the weather is wet or we're in a hurry, sometimes we don't have a choice.
Alpaca Laundry Dryer Balls can save you time & money!
How dryer balls work
- Wool Dryer balls disperse through your laundry load and work to keep clothes separated. This helps decrease tangling so clothes dry more evenly.
- Created from natural alpaca, dryer balls will absorb moisture which effectively reduces drying time.
- Wool dryer balls can help reduce static and wrinkles in your clothes, especially those made from natural fibres.
- Biodegradable and chemical-free, dryer balls replace single-use, plastic-based dryer sheets.
- Adding a few drops of your favourite essential oil to each ball will add a fresh, natural fragrance to your clothes as they dry.
Why use natural dryer balls?
- Single-use, artificially fragranced dryer sheets are made from synthetic materials that hang around forever. This creates a huge impact on our environment by contaminating our food supply and waterways.
- Natural dryer balls are eco-friendly and biodegradable. At the end of their life, dryer balls can be buried in the garden or cut up and tossed into the worm farm, returning back to the earth.
- With normal use, dryer balls can last for several years. I still use my original set of dryer balls I made 7 years ago. They've blown out in places but they still work just fine!
- Alpaca fleece is hypoallergenic making it ideal for those with sensitivities.
- Unlike sheep's wool, alpaca fleece contains no lanolin which can sometimes emit a burnt, oily smell when heated.
- A zero-carbon product, our alpaca laundry dryer balls are made using rainwater heated by solar-powered energy.
How we make our alpaca dryer balls
When our alpacas are shorn, the fleece is skirted and the saddle part (the good bit!) is kept for hand spinning or sent away for processing into yarn in Victoria.
The skirt (the outer edges, neck and legs) usually contains shorter, coarser fibres, and we keep these aside for felting or composting around our fruit trees.
The other key ingredients we need are rainwater and sunny days.
It takes quite a bit of hot water to create dryer balls, and as we operate on solar power, we only make them on sunny days when we're generating excess power.
We also need to have plenty of rainwater in our tanks as it takes several washes to sufficiently felt the dryer balls.
As the dryer balls are handmade and the amount of felting varies depending on the fibre, sizes and colours vary from batch to batch. As a guide, sizes range from 6-8cm in diameter,
Although we try to remove all stray fibres, sometimes we can miss one or two!
We suggest refraining from using these balls with say your favourite little black dress (which you probably wouldn't be doing anyway!) until you've used the balls a few times. This will ensure any loose fibres have been removed.
In the Box
- 6 hand-felted alpaca laundry dryer balls in various natural colours
How to use
Simply toss all the dryer balls into the dryer with your wet laundry load.
As a guide, for a full load of laundry, adjust the timer down by around half an hour to what you'd normally set it. Check the clothes at the end of the cycle and adjust the timing if necessary.
It's always best to underestimate drying time to avoid over-drying your clothes.
Adding a few drops of essential oil to some or all of the dryer balls before use will leave your laundry with a fresh, natural scent,
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
Being summer I haven’t needed to use the dryer so I haven’t been able to test these out. But they smelt Devine and arrived on time beautify boxed.
Fantastic product. Works wonders in our condensing dryer. Definitely reduces drying time.
I hate using my dryer but living in Victoria in winter makes it a necessity. The dryer balls have reduced drying time significantly.
I ordered on a Friday and had my deliver on a Monday - super service.
They are great, I use them everyday to help the drying time with my work uniform.
Quick delivery and very happy with item purchased.